Saturday, December 5, 2009

What age is too old for ballet?

I'm 13 and I really wanna take ballet lessons - my parents always wanted me too, I started when I was 6 for about 2 - 3 years. After that I quit totally cause i thought it was too hard, now I feel too old to learn again...cause i'm not any good and it would be embaressing to learn with some 6-7 year old kids. Is it possible to become a good dancer if u start learning at 13, I don't think I'm as bendy like when I was 6 anymore...



What age is too old for ballet?ms stress



Same experience. I actually took when I was 4 and 5 and then quit because I wasn't in the same class as my sisters. I started again when I was 14, taking ballet, tap, jazz, and modern. There was a lot of younger girls who were much better than me, BUT I found a studio that offered beginning ballet and jazz classes for Teens. I'm sure you can find one like that! Good luck, and it's never too young to dance!



What age is too old for ballet?home theater system opera theater



Dont worry, you'll get more and more flexible each lesson if you work properly:) I think you should start again! or maybe try modern/hip hop or something like that, im sure youll enjoy it! Good luck
Annie, don't listen to people with regards to "being to old to start at 13". If you are determined, just do it. Remember that you can have a very long career ahead of you. Plisetskaya was doing her best work in her forties, and was assoluta of the Kirov for around 30 years from 1960 to 1990! Also Alicia Alonso was still dancing Giselle well into her 60s to standing ovations. Plisetskaya is now around 82 and is still giving masterclasses. Whenever she appears, it is clear that the way she holds herself and what she knows is far superior to most ballerinas a quarter her age. Plisetskaya says repeatedly that it is most important for ballerinas to have a good sense of musicality, and that is what is lacking nowadays. In other words, if you want to study ballet, study music too. Great ballerinas have music and arrangements composed just for them, and then can go on to teaching, administration and cheorography. It is a job for life.
It is never too late to start dance, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. At 13 you are still going to be able to get flexible with some persistent stretching. And remember, even when your teacher corrects you, that doesn't mean your doing bad. The best girls in my class still get little comments and corrections, it is a dance teachers nature, so don't get discouraged. I don't know if you watch the TV show So You Think You Can Dance, but the winner, Sabra Johnson, is an absolutely amazing dancer and she only started dancing about 4-5 years ago.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkjW9cmzn...
i'd say you're too old when you're about 108ish (give or take a few years) seeing as you're only 13, you've got about 95 years to start ;)



haha anyways, i think you should do it if you want to. 13 is when i started dancing again. i've been doing it for about a year and a half now and everything is going great. you shouldn't let age stop you from doing what you want to do. dancing with little kids isn't as embarassing as it seems (trust me- been there, done that). i had the same flexibility problem it sounds like you're having. stretch often at home. don't depend on stretching in class and only then to be enough. if you want to be with kids your own age, its something you gotta work on. no matter when you start, if you're dedicated and work hard you can become a good dancer. all that matters is that you're having fun though. good luck!
there isnt one .



there are usually teen beginner ballet classes (at my studio there is) look for one of those!
Any age!! If you want to dance - DANCE! Ballet is about passion and expression. As long as you have the desire to begin again (and it is hard work) then you should definitely go for it!



For added inspiration, check out this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engla...
go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Scooter